Thursday, May 19, 2016

Ethiopia 2016 Day #3 Jinka

                                                      ARBA MINCH TO JINKA



6 hours 9 minutes according to Google
but we did stop at Konso
365 km
215 km asphalted road
60 kilometers gravel
at 11 oclock if I recall we reach Konso for breakfast


So morning finally arrived.



We had to go thru methane war zone in the washroom,  plugging our nostrils AGAIN with toilet paper, to be able to get in the toilet and stand still in the middle of flying beasts carrying all sorts of diseases.

This sure is, going to cut your inspiration; trust me.


We had to face reality.
Reality check done.
Move along and carry on your duties no matter what.

We had a goal
with no budget
And we were going to achieve it, no matter what.


So 6 o'clock sharp our driver finally pulls out the driveway and my sister and I looked at each other and smile.

Yes, we didnt loose our money ( we paid for half the trip to go and will pay for half the trip when we come back) this was our deal and we were on our way to see the Mursi women.

Let the adventure begin or continue I should say.


We pass in front of this huge cathedral where poor people stayed for the night then drove on for 15 minutes where we suddenly stop in front of this big container truck laying down on the road near the clift.

(I took these pictures on the way back we can see better since we left so early that mornng but unbelievable its still on the ground 4 days later).





I suddenly choke at the sight of it.  Dust was still up In the air and I suddenly realised I was crazy
I would never be able to do this trip. I'm afraid of heights,  I get vertigo, I'm afraid of a fly not to say the least.

What was I doing here in Africa, in Ethiopia, going to see tribe ladies, where worst will get worst
No stop the car, let me out. Let's just back up, drop me at the hotel, and I will wait for you there. No the airport I want to go back home.

I told my sister to tell the driver this was no a joke but the truth I could no longer do this.
No, not today, it was not possible, not for me, maybe for her, the only one, the hulk sister of mine, the one that is not afraid of anything, THE ONE.

No I kept on saying. No.  Meanwhile the driver Gri was is name pronounce Gary, was trying to stay on the road zigzaging around this mastodonte truck in order to go on with our field trip.

Where is our field trip?  To the zoo?  or to the shopping mall?
NO!
Nothing like that at all.
We are going to the end of the world, in the forgotten country, where people die of thirst, where people battle with long stick, or kalichnikov, where people jump over bulls, where people over mutilate themselves, where people hsow up in the middle of no where, where people never come back from Ethiopia...


While I was looking out the window hoping to see someone coming to pick me up and take me somewhere else, away form this nighmare scene our of CSSI movie, the driver had manage not to listen to me but my sister and continue driving, while I was scared like hell, that, this, could obviously happen to us on our way there too it could be my very own last day on earth.


Mountains over mountains, higher and higher, we arrived somewhere and picked up a guide that would hold on to my hand while explaining the scenary, the beautiful park we were entering. We needed him to enter the park and help us translate with the people.

The driver was driving, clifts were passing by, the guide was talking to my sister, I was listening and was surviving my ordeal of freightning heights...

Wish I was hypnotise for that...really every where I go it just ruings everything and there again I fly at 40,000 feet in the air...

We finally arrived at our hotel.
omg not
another hotel ok
we are loosing time here
the weather is not looking good
lets pick a hotel and go
ok
we get another guide who speak the Mursi language
pay another fee to enter the other park.

Solomon will be our guide for the Jinka market.

We got settle and then the horror story begin.
while I was downloading pictures on my computer, my sister went to the washroom, you know my hulk sister who is afraid of nothing; well,
She came out of the washroom running, screaming at me, not to even think of getting closer to the washroom and left me all alone in that room while she ran to get the receptionist to come in to deal with this matter.

Remember I went thru a sleepless night here.
A freightning experience to go thru those high mountains
and now this
if she is afraid of something
not taking the time to talk to me
this must be major
I got up instantly shaking like a leaf of paper
manage to get out shaking some more
and call for help shaking, shaking, shaking.
help me! help me!
please help me!
not being able to move to the reception or nothing
i stood outside on the balcony and scream
help me! help me ! help me!

so, there he was, a man who was building some more hotel rooms, who listened to me
he looked at me and stopped working.
I kept on saying help me
He then look at me and say:
snake!
snake!
did he say snake! mother fucker ! he did say snake!
I just screamed
snake! I was about to faint just by the name of it.

The man saw in my face I was going to die for sure, so he came closer to me and explained to me while looking at the gutter, that snake, would actually get in the gutter into the room
OMG!
Get me out of here please

I was shaking not being able to put a foot in front of the other

My sister finally arrived with the manager of the hotel
They went in the washroom all of them
I stayed outside shaking some more
What is it ?  What is it ?
My sister told them not to mention anything about it until we left
I told her to take a picture but it was too late.

I found out the next day, that it was a tarentula the size of a football.

We left for the market trying to forget I will have to go back inside that room to sleep that night.

...

DID WE HAD A GOOD TIME AT THE MARKET
WOA!

It was just pure pleasure for the eyes beside the rian had started at the same time we arrived unfortunately for our picture taking franzie but we did have a few good shots but beside this while we were there thye told us that the Mursi come down to the market and we might see a few of them while shopping.


Rain drops on the camera lense there is so much I can cover under the rain here.






















                                                    they used this for the spicy sauce


  Hammer girl looking at goods. You can tell form their hair thye all have the smae hair style and their skin are quite diffeent too.




                                                                     Hammer women




                            ok this is left over from the coffee beans the rest of Ethiopia will use the shell that people screen offf before putting the coffeee beans in the bag and thye will use it to drink like a coffee.
                                                  



















Did you know the Mursi have to walk 2 hours to go 2 hours to come back to this market unbelievable. Hammer girls...too I guess everyone need to walk a lot in order to come to this market so rain or no rain they are here to sell everything they have before leaving.




We saw a few Hammer girls and Ethiopians busy selling their little goods even tho the rain was pouring down.















Then we decided to stop because of too heavy rain fall and hide at a café. While we were standing there talking to people making new friends we saw them across the street hidding as well from the heavy rain.
WOA!
They came to see us.
One at a time they came under our shelter to greet us and talk to us. We exchange bracelet money for pictures and then many more came to see us it was a party at the café.
It was our first meeting with these women.
It was grand
bigger then grand
it was just unreal
unreal unreal
that in 2016 we could see and meet people that had change very little in their development of a society.
Or did we change for worst

These poor women were freezing because of the rain
they only had a cloth covering their body
they were really freezing
the girl at the café started a fire pit to roast the coffee that my sister ordered so they were kind of warming up around the fire. OUr guide was trying to translate all of our quesiton but above all we just stair at each other, shake hand, hug, look at our picture we took of each others and was just pure pleasure to meet them.
They were so different of us
It was something because of the rian they didnt wear their plate around their lips because they are made in clay and thye would probably loose it under the erain so their lips were hanging down.
Imagine I dont have much lips and they have big lips they must of think I was the strange one.
We just cannot change any of this tradition of the dish plate that the Mursi women wears.

Courageous women.

There are 2 versions of this The men didnt want to loose their women over other tribes so they started to do that in order to scare people form stealing their women for esclavage.
Then it become a custom the bigger the dish she had, the bigger the dot they will have in order to find a man.

The man in the other hand can have many women. He just shave his head and mark his body with different signs in order to show he is a strong man.
The governement is starting to tell the women to stop this practice. You will see little girls with dish around their ears now or no dish at all.

When they are young they have their front teeth remove, they poke a hold in their inside lips afterwards, they insert a piece of meat, of wood, of clay dish, very little one, and when they grow up they get a bigger dish. And when they are old, they can no longer support that dish, so they dont wear any anymore.
At last...I guess.


When I was there I felt like I was in my grand father encyclopiedia doing an expedition of some sort meeting for the first time strange women form a tribe I was living my experience of an adventurous travelers, photographers and then I realized suddenly I was useless in the sight of all this
I could not change the world their world their doing
I had to accept what I was seeing
Only them could do something if they wanted to change all of this
Perhaps by looking at me they would like to do like me who knows
but I couldnt do anything

So we enjoyed our time together

Hope you like the pictures

Pictures that met a lot to us not taken for the sake of it but to remember that moment togehter as women with a few young men in the group.

                                         that much rain here woa! it looks like a snow storm

                                                 coming to see us under the heavy rain









                                                     the one on the left was freezing





                                                                 




            They really talk with their hands and talk very loud when they mean it too just like us
                                        yes im all wet and very happy to be here so I dont care
                                   you can see the makring on their body it must be painful


                                                            look at her she is curious too







ok I just hope he doesnt come for a donga cereomony (stick fight) there are famous for that the mursi men.
He was smiling when he left...it should be find. I think he is curious to meet us. We are the attraction here or what...








                                             He is exhibing his sticks short one small one




                                                 There we go little girl come in too to see us



                                             smiling is not their daily thing to do here
                                                                  we are trying

                                                    that is funny I ask her to smile too cute




                very nice of her here she was not sure of herself moving a lot trying to do something with her lips smiling or no





                    not sure if she should come in or not under to shelter and meet us

they kept on coming to see us old or young they came to say hello
I tried to take picture but we were overwhelm by all of them in a such a small space where we all stood there.





                                                      This was really a good one of her.








                             we couldnt go anywhere really the rain was just pouring so hard




the girl of the café was having fun too looking at us having fun 


                         trying to look nice for the picture means different things to others
                                             there we go our little girl is smiling a little here









                                                   so they came and sat with us
                                           our guide is telling them something in their language


                                                            a lot of marks on their body






                                                                       beautiful girl
                                                          beautiful girl.












curious babies

                                                    they are still coming in
                                                       there is no way we can all fit here
                                                  its all right they want to show us their babies
                                                         this time we give them our cameras


                                           Mursi wallet hide there money under the bracelet

                                              coffee time smoking hot the lady roasted the beans
                         serving it always in this model of cup with the same leafs on everywhere in Ethiopia



 there you see they always put branches on the ground in café's now she place the coffee pot back on the fire











                                        the one on the right is a bit more stylish she doesnt have the same cloth of the other and she is trying to pause for us


very young mother 
































We had to leave them and we told them we will see them in their village the next day if the weather permitted it

because if it was raining the road would have been too hard to travel and we would have ran out of time to catch our flight...



























ù






















                                                 its still raining but we need to see it all


                  big market here in close fence when one present their animal the other one buys it


                                                a cow a zebu or a beef name it $700 US
                                                average salary $2.00 an hour  when you are on your own well


                                                           goat and sheep market
                         when you see each other you hit the opposite shoulder three times




















We went on to finish our visit to the market in the slush the slippery roads of red clay we went to see the animal market where one zebu is sold for the price of $700.00 US
woa!
they have hardly any money
omg

This reality of expensive stuff here in a poor country makes me wonder ...

Suddenly we met our new friend the Mursi girl we saw her going in trying to buy a goat...with our money we give her for the picture
we didnt want interfere as much as I wanted to giv her the amount of money but we decided with the guide it was best to leave her alone....

because perhaps the man will have ask her double the price you see























































                                 SHE IS THE WIFE OF THE KING OF THE TRIBE



































































So we went for lunch at this local restaurant
they ran out of chicken
so i choose curry rice
my sister a spaghetti
back to our hotel after this wonderful experience at the Jinka market under the rain and downloaded some pictures
we restd a little
had dinner at our hotel
forgot what did we have here
maybe another sprite
and chips
then we went out with the boys
the driver Gri and the guide Solomon
we went out with the locals
it as dark outside
no street lights
we brought our flashlight
and follow them
but first Solomon and the driver give us a Mursi bracelet and a ring because I didnt have time to get one And I got a Ara bracelet form Gri 's tribe
How nice it was of them

So we got out the jeep went to this local pub that you would not find on your own trust me took a back alley
omg
where the hell we ere going
but my stronge sister afraid of nothign told me trust me in Africa its always like that dont worry


finally arrived there
hum
20 men sitting on small benches drinking the hydromel of Ehtiopia to the sound of great music
woa!
that sounds promising here
hum
we need to dirnk this
ok
no choice here
dirnk drink drink
lucky my sister like the hard stuff
so we exchange to the best of our knowledge
showing them pictures of paris london and snow
how fun it was then we take pcitures of each other
we had a lovely evenings
very nice people

we went to our tarentula room to sleep happy of our beautiful experience
hoping for a sunny day tomorrow
but wee didnt come all the way for skipping this village
we had to calcualte the time
1 hour drive
1 hour there
1 hour to come back
1 hour to see the Ara people
lunch
4 hours dirve to Arba MInch
catching up th eplane to fly back to Addis
very tight schedule there
will see if it rain that could delay us a great time especially with these roads

wash with little wet nap there was no way i will go near tha washroom again unless it was for an emergency
luckily for me there was another sink outside the washroom

down load amazing pictures of mine
put the carpet under the door, to stop snakes from coming in, went under the net until 3 oclock at night...
waited for the sun to rise



SPENDING

breakfast at Kampa Lodge in Konso

fried egg and horrible toast and coffee
view priceless


lunch

curry rice
coca cola


sprite
sprite for the driver


dinner

coca cola

went out clubbing

didn't cost anything

Received a beautiful gift form guide and driver and they invited us to the local pub. How lovely indeed are these Ethiopian people.


Day 3
is over so many things we saw
unforgottable moment
love it all

Next Day 4 ...but first got to go back to work keep yo posted

p.s. DID NOT HAVE TIME TO POST THE NICE DRIVE AND ALL THE VIDEOS
      SO KEEP ON LOOKING

No comments:

Post a Comment